Thursday, September 20, 2012

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

Ahh, fall. It's time for sweaters, boots, and most important...SOUP! Growing up I was not a big fan of tomato soup because all I knew of it was straight out of the can. Eww. When in high school a bakery in town offered a creamy tomato soup and grilled cheese special on Thursdays. After that I was hooked and I had to find out how to make it on my own! In my searching I found this recipe, and while it isn't quite what that bakery makes, it is good in it's own right! And did I mention it is SUPER easy?? Let's get started!

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
2 cans condensed tomato soup
1 can tomato puree
1 can diced tomatoes
1 16 oz. block of cream cheese
1 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoon of Italian Seasoning
1/2 Garlic Powder
 In a medium sized soup pot put all the canned ingredients and the milk in a pot and bring to a boil. Add in your spices and stir.
 Cover your soup and simmer for 10 minutes.
 While your soup is simmering, cube your cream cheese. This is easier if your cream cheese is cold. In other words don't keep it out on the counter while you are doing everything else. Keep it in the fridge so it will be firm when you try to cube it.
 After your soup has been simmering for 10 minutes, put in your cream cheese. The recipe I have said to "melt the cream cheese." Fun fact, cream cheese doesn't really melt. It just turns into smaller pieces. Still yummy!
 After your cream cheese is "melted" you can enjoy your soup! Be careful you will want more than one bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment